Friday, March 11, 2011

Caught Red Handed

I haven't had time to think this one through, so it will be an adventure that I am willing to share with you as I post this one up; so let's just get to it...

This is a revelation of some sort, and, like you, I am eager to see how it will all come full circle as I write.

John 8:1-11

This is a well known story, but the details will be explored in a unique way, just for this time.

"Jesus returned to the Mount of Olives,
but early the next morning he was back again at the Temple. A crowd soon gathered, and he sat down and taught them." John 8:1, 2. Jesus was doing nothing out of the ordinary. He spent the night at his favorite place, Mount Olives, doing his favorite thing, praying. An entire night, praying... I wish I could dedicate an entire hour, but that's another topic - for me, at least.

"Be sober, be vigilant, because your adversary the devil walketh about as a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour." 1 Peter 5:8 - Just a friendly reminder for those who care to be reminded..

"As he was speaking, the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in the act of adultery. They put her in front of the crowd." John 8:3

Time out.

Read verse three over again, and pinpoint what is wrong with that verse, besides what's obviously wrong with that verse.

If you're having difficulties, let me break it down for ya'

Check it

"As he [Jesus] was speaking [in the Temple], the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in the act of adultery. They put her in front of the crowd [congregation]." John 8:3.


Let's take that a step further.


Jesus was in church. The day does not matter. What matters is that Jesus was at church and Jesus was physically inside of a church building; the Temple. As he was speaking, or teaching, or as we know it today, preaching, the teachers of religious law and Pharisees burst through the church's door with a woman who had been caught red handed in adultery. She was caught.

Let it sink.


Caught.

Meaning that while she was doing what she was doing, bang! boom! bam! Lights! Camera! And the dude from the show "Cheaters" comes out with his whole crew.

Caught.

Meaning that she was in the act, the actual act of adultery. In other words, if anything, she was prepared to do what she was there to do between an unmarried woman and a married man. To be blunt: she was caught having sex. A quicky, if you will..

Caught.

By the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees. These dudes are similar to now a day church elders and deacons and evangelists and pastors. (I wonder how many times a pastor catches people committing adultery..? Maybe I'd be surprised by the answer!) In any case...

Caught.

Not stumbled upon, which would suggest an unplanned occurrence. Maybe they had an appointment with the woman - or man - and they were told that the door would be open and, oops! my bad! oh! no, no! excuse me..! should I have knocked...? type-thing...

No, she was caught.

And once you're caught, you're caught. Instantly. Suddenly. Unexpectedly. No time to act; just react. No time to think; just instinct. She was caught. It was a set up.

Since she was caught in the act of adultery, she was dragged out of wherever she was with the little - or nothing - she had on. Since she was caught in the act, she didn't have anything on. Therefore, I can imagine as they took her and dragged her out, she must have reached for whatever to cover her nude body.

Caught. Naked. Beyond scared straight. At the Temple in no time - and I am not talking 'bout Temple University.

"Teacher,' they said to Jesus, 'this woman was caught in the act of adultery. The law of Moses says to stone her. What do you say?" John 8: 4, 5


"If a man is discovered committing adultery, both he and the woman must die. In this way, you will purge Israel of such evil." Deut 22:22


What you are about to experience is the smoothest and most purest transition into God's grace, courtesy of the One himself, Jesus.

"They were trying to trap him into saying something they could use against him, but Jesus stooped down and wrote in the dust with his finger. They kept demanding an answer, so he stood up again and said, 'All right, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!" John 8:6, 7

Did you catch that? It was so so smooth that you prob'ly didn't!

According to the law of Moses, the woman was indeed supposed to die. Not just her, but homeboy too! But that's not the point.

The point is this: I know Jesus died for my sins. I know when I ask for forgiveness, he forgives. But most of the time, this is a certainty for the minuscule stuff. But what about the helpless and hopeless stuff?

As for this woman, she was hopeless. I am sure she knew what she was getting into when she decided to meet with the unidentified man. She had a thought process. Our John Doe had a thought process, too! You see, at times we are aware of the sins we make or are about to make. We even plan the place, time and date. Circled is that date on our calendars, or synchronized on the celly just to remind us 1 or 2 days ahead of time - just in case we forget.

Excuse me, I'm sorry. I am referring to myself, not you, the reader..

And now what, when I am caught in similar situation...?

Ironically, the solution is that in God's infinite love and grace, I am caught red handed!

"When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners. Now, most people would not be willing to die for an upright person, though someone might perhaps be willing to die for a person who is especially good. But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. And since we have been made right in God’s sight by the blood of Christ, he will certainly save us from God’s condemnation." Romans 8:6-9


At the very moment I am utterly helpless, whether by circumstances or intent, because Jesus died for me, I am able to fall into God's grace. And God looks at Jesus' hands, still painted red by his precious blood, which in turn gives me life; and before I sink any lower, God catches me in his hands and says "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9


I am glad to be caught red handed, not for condemnation, but for life!





Enjoy!

No comments:

The Mind

My photo
He is THE maestro; I am an instrument