Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"It gives your Father GREAT Pleasure..."


I have often found myself like this guy. Some days are just so unbearable and everything and everyone seems to be against me. Those are the most frustrating ones, and if God doesn't have a tight grip on my life, the wrong thoughts could cross my mind - enough said.

I know I am not the only one who feels this way. Yesterday I received a phone call from a friend, and from the sound of her situation, she's not only having a bad day; she's going through a rough period in her life right now; and that's saying it nicely. She called me for a word of encouragement, and thank God, he inspired the words she needed to hear. So I praise God for that!

During our conversation, I realized something very interesting. Up until recently, I too thought the same way; however, when I understood a bit better the type of God I serve, I've been making an effort to change my way of thinking. I am talking about the way we see God in light of our everyday difficulties.

There was a time when I strongly believed that the hardships I went through was because God was punishing me. No matter how hard I tried, no matter what I tried to do, regardless of how good I tried to live, it was never good enough. And all of that frustration, all of the mistakes, all the tough times, were a punishment from God because of my imperfections - and they are many!

So I began to worry, and worry a lot. Ironically, that's when everything around me seemed to be crumbling. Everything was going wrong, you know? Nothing seemed to be going my way. And, dudes, that sucks! It really really sucks. Before you knew it, I found myself caught up in everything else, trying to remain afloat and in control. Trying to get a grip...

Luke 10

"As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord's feet, listening to what he taught. But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, 'Lord, doesn't it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.' " Luke 10:38-40

So Jesus arrives at Martha's house. He had frequently visited with them before, and for some reason, he became very fond of this family: Martha, Lazarus, and Mary. You could say they were his closest friends, his peoples outside of the Twelve. Because he is such a special guest, Martha, who is a great hostess, wants to celebrate in style the arrival of Jesus into her home.

I wonder what was Jesus' favorite dish..?

Anyway

My study Bible says, "Hospitality was valued highly, and Martha was fulfilling the expected role of a woman. She was frustrated that Mary was not." In other words, Martha was doing what she was expected to do, and there was nothing wrong with that. I'm sure not even Jesus had a problem with that; and neither did Mary. Women were expected to take care of the household affairs, and I assume men were expected to take care of the other affairs - huh, where have I heard that before..?

But I think Martha was a little extra, in the sense that I being hospitable was her gift. I think she was so good at it she was known for her skills in her town. And the fact that it was none other than Jesus himself in her home, she wanted to show off a little bit, feel me? She wanted to make the food extra tasty; she wanted to extend the menu with a few extra appetizers and entrees; she wanted to set the table with extra elegance by using the only-on-special-occasion dining ware - you get the point.

All this extra stuff required extra time and extra help. So if anyone should have been helping it was Mary. So Martha had all her rights to wonder what in the world she was doing just sitting there at Jesus' feet. I mean, that's her sister, and she knows how extra Martha likes to get when she has honorable guest in her home. So her frustration is understandable.

It was impossible for Martha to cook, clear up extra space around the house for more guests, go out in town to get a few extra stuff, and have enough time to get herself ready for this huge dinner. She really needed the extra help. But Mary was not budging. Regardless of her sister's grunting and sighing and whatever else she might have been doing, Mary sat at the feet of Jesus as a dog sits at the feet of its owner.

After making many deliberate attempts to catch Mary's attention - or Jesus' - Martha finally reached that boiling point and exploded, "Lord, doesn't it seem unfair that I'm doing all the work and my sister is just sitting there? The guests are almost here and I'm not even half way done yet. There's still so much I have to do; can you tell her something, please?!"

"But the Lord said to her, 'My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.' " Luke 10:41-42

No need to be in Martha's head to know what she was thinking: ...Huh?

What was Jesus really telling Martha? Was he implying that he did not want a huge dinner? Was he indirectly telling Martha that she'd wasted her time and energy for no reason?

Not at all.

Martha did not understand two things; and one of them may not have been her fault. You see, someone forgot to tell Martha that the Jesus in her home, is the same Jesus who, in Chapter 9, fed five thousand people with two fish and five loaves of bead. So in the worst case, if the food was not prepared, he certainly could have said a few words and everyone would have eaten more than enough.

Jesus points out that Martha was "worried and upset over all these details". She allowed all the ins and outs and the most insignificantly minute and worthless details of a simple dinner get her all worked up. I mean, Jesus was in her home! And she didn't spend one second talking to him, listening to him, as her sister Mary was doing.

How often do we find ourselves like that guy in the picture because we're so "worried and upset over all these details"? Most people say they believe in God, but what's the purpose of believing in God if they don't believe in what God is able and willing to do?

"Then, turning to his disciples, Jesus said, 'That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life - whether you have enough food to eat or enough clothes to wear. For life is more than food, and your body more than clothing. Look at the ravens. they don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, for God feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than any birds! Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And if worry can't accomplish a little thing like that, what's the use of worrying over bigger things?

"Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you ave so little faith? And don't be concerned about what to eat or what to drink. Don't worry abut such things. These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers all over the world, but your Father already knows your needs." Luke 12:22-30

"Though a thousand fall at your side, though ten thousand are dying around you, these evils will not touch you." Psalms 91:7

Check out Jesus' powerful question: "Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? [The answer is, "No.."] And if worry can't accomplish a little thing like that, what's the use of worrying over bigger things?"

Please tell me someone caught that!

"...And if worry can't accomplish a little thing like that..." What in the world is Jesus talking about? The thing is, he's just showing off in order to drive home that even the things we consider to be impossible and most difficult, these things are stupid in comparison to "adding a single moment to our lives". What power!

This is what Mary understood: "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need." Luke 12:31

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me." John 14:6

This is what he wants us to know: "So don't be afraid, little flock. For it gives your Father great happiness to give you the Kingdom." Luke 12:32

Dudes & Dudettes, we already have everything we need in Jesus. Nothing else matters.
Am I saying that we shouldn't worry about work and a family and all that other stuff? Not at all! These things are important. However, never allow these things to dominate our minds and our lives.

Whenever we go through rough times, check out what Paul says:

"Can anything ever separate us from Christ's love? Does it meant no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death?... No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.

"And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God's love. Neither death nor life, neither angels or demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow - not even the powers of hell can separate us from God's love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below - indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:35-39


Have you ever found yourself like that guy in the picture? I will suggest you divert your eyes and fix them upon Jesus.




Enjoy "God Of Wonders" by Third Day
Once again, I might have already used this song,
but, once again, it's my blog! LOL



No comments:

The Mind

My photo
He is THE maestro; I am an instrument