Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanks[for]giving


Out of all the holidays that exist, Thanksgiving is most special. Not because of the traditional eating of the turkey and all the food - all that is a huge and tasty bonus. It is most special because it promotes something we all should do more than just once a year: give thanks.

There is so much to be thankful for, you know? There is everyday life God gives us, food, water, shelter, clothes, health, family and friends, to name a few.

These are what I consider to be the traditional things we are all thankful for. And usually, in previous Thanksgiving dinners and celebrations, those are the things I most often mentioned and used as an easy way out of really being thankful for something of substance - and by no means am I saying these things are not of substance.

But this Thanksgiving has special meaning to me. Although I will not be spending it with my family or the friends that I care deeply about - friends who have become more than friend, but family - I have found that reason of substance to be extremely grateful for.

Romans 5

"When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners. Now, most people would not be willing to die for an upright person, though someone might perhaps be willing to die for a person who is especially good. But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners." Romans 5:6-8

This is my reason for being extremely thankful. I am thankful that "Christ came at just the right time" - as he always does - to give up his life for my sake. For your sake. I am also thankful that "God showed his great love for [me]". As the verse points out, most people would not be willing to give up their lives for someone who actually deserves it, but for an undeserving person like me, it pleased God to send Jesus to die for me...

So now, I have eternal life! And I did not pay anything for it because God's Son paid that price on my behalf. The crazy thing is that he really didn't have to, because I am a filthy sinner. Yet he did! And I don't have to suffer my due consequence for being a filthy sinner because it pleased God to give Jesus up as a sacrifice.

Why is this important?

"And since we have been made right in God’s sight by the blood of Christ, he will certainly save us from God’s condemnation. For since our friendship with God was restored by the death of his Son while we were still his enemies, we will certainly be saved through the life of his Son. So now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God." Romans 5:9-11


This is my reason for great gratitude towards my God.


If you feel thankful for something, I am encouraging you to share your reason for gratitude today by leaving a comment.


May the God who continuously reveals his love, the God who is slow to anger and filled with unfailing love and goodness, the God was, is and is to come; may my God pours his blessings on you yesterday, today & tomorrow - always.


Gobble-Gobble!


Enjoy this beautiful song by Kirk Franklin - "My Life, My Love, My All"


No comments:

The Mind

My photo
He is THE maestro; I am an instrument