Friday, July 31, 2009

Hey! Focus!

I believe that one of the toughest things for me as a young follower of Christ is directing my focus in the right places. I don't believe that I am the only one struggling with this problem. Let's face it, it's tough being a Christian, especially being a young male or female. I know I've mentioned this somewhat before in another entry, but check me out on this one:

I know that Jesus said, "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me." Mark 8:34 And by 'take up your cross' he's implying that, basically, it ain't gonna be easy.

But, geez! It really ain't E-Z!

I know that we are "temporary residents and foreigners" 1 Peter 2:11 and that we shouldn't get caught up on worldly stuff, and all that jazz,

but really, that's not so easy either!

Where am I going with this?

There are so many things in this world claiming our attention and focus.
You know what they are. I know what they are. We know what they are. And we get so caught up at times, that we lose ourselves in the things that quite frankly don't matter.

We focus so much on earthly things, and the enemy sees this, and trust me, he takes advantage. Quick. And we get rocked by life. Over and over and over again. Time and time and time again. Then we lose faith. We lose sight of what truly matters. We forget who we are and what we're supposed to be doing. And we're weak. And faint. And quit or want to quit. All because we get so caught up on earthly things...

I've been there. And it continues to happen to me till this day.
I find it so easy to focus on things of this world and so
hard to focus on things above.
I can watch ESPN all day long but to find
time alone to pray, like Jesus did,...
I can spend an entire day with friends and stuff,
but to spend 15 minutes with Jesus...

What is going on?

1 John 2


"
I am writing to you who are God’s children because your sins have been forgiven through Jesus.I am writing to you who are mature in the faith because you know Christ, who existed from the beginning. I am writing to you who are young in the faith because you have won your battle with the evil one. I have written to you who are God’s children because you know the Father. I have written to you who are mature in the faith because you know Christ, who existed from the beginning. I have written to you who are young in the faith because you are strong. God’s word lives in your hearts, and you have won your battle with the evil one."
1 John 2:12-14


Read the previous verses so you can better understand what these verses mean.
Now check out what this is saying. John goes from writing "I am writing to you...because" to "I have written to you...because" just to make a point: everything he's written so far, his readers already knew. Which is kind of like us; we already know everything, right?

The focus of his message is to walk in the light and stay away from the darkness. And he's told them that over and over and over again. I mean, he's told us that over and over and over again. I mean, he's told me that over and over and over again.


I wonder what he's trying to prevent...?


"
Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world.
And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever." 1 John 2:15-17

No wonder we get rocked by life over and over and over again. We have fallen in love with the world; aka, in love with this darkness; aka, this perfection turned junk by sin. We've gotten caught in earth's filthy webs and feel comfortable being upside down and sideways, distorted and disoriented, filthy and blinded by the same thing we've fallen in love with.

But check this out


I like what the King James Version says:


"
I have written unto you, young men [and young women], because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one." It's the same exact thing as the other Bible version, but I like the words here best because it's more empowering.

Although it's not easy,
we're strong!

Although we are unsure of where to turn, know
the word of God abideth in us!

Although we feel defeated,
we have overcome the wicked one!

Take a deep breath and remember when you just got baptized.
Remember how you felt once you came out of that water knowing you just got a fresh start.
Did you know the Holy Spirit was poured out on you?
Remember how you felt the day after in your brand new walk with Jesus.


Remember?

Check it


"I am writing these things to warn you about those
[people or things] who want to lead you astray. But you have received the Holy Spirit, and he lives within you, so you don’t need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit teaches you everything you need to know, and what he teaches is true—it is not a lie. So just as he has taught you, remain in fellowship with Christ." 1 John 2:26, 27

I want to stop wasting my time and for once--and for as long as I must--turn [and keep] my eyes on Jesus.


you with me?


Enjoy
"Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" by Newsboys; it's an excellent version


No comments:

The Mind

My photo
He is THE maestro; I am an instrument