Sunday, July 19, 2009

If I Were Rich (Remix)

I want to start off by apologizing for writing about this topic again, but I think this is such powerful stuff that I must put it out there.

So by now you should be wondering, "What in the world is this dude talking about?"

Great question!

But if you'd payed attention to the title you would have already guessed it, don't you think?

Granted that was a horrible joke, let's get down to business.

I'm talking about being rich. But this is the remix.

In my earlier entry,"If I Were Rich", I made a point that our promised heavenly treasures are what we should all strive for; better yet, what I should strive for. The lil' crappy stuff on this earth is not going to last. So what's the point of wasting my time, dig me?

I'm sure you've heard of the rapper 50 Cent.
I trust you don't own any of his music. . .

but that's a different entry, for a later time.

In any case, 50 --pronounced fitty; not fifty, and it's cent; not cents-- released an album entitled "Get Rich Or Die Tryin". There is a single on the album which shares the same same title. And, oh! by the way, a movie with the same exact title!

Can we say the man don't wanna be broke?

Luke 12

I ask: is it wrong to strive for earthly riches? Don't rush to answer. Think. Hard.

Check it.


Jesus is so sexy with it all the time.

So here he is chilling with his crew and all these different people wanted to hall@Him. While he was doing his thing, you know, being sexy with it, some random dude shouted,
"Teacher, please tell my brother to divide our father’s estate with me.

Someone probably said the poor guy like, "Dang, homie! Your brother cheap!" Some laughs.
Jesus replied, "Friend, who made me a judge over you to decide such things as that?" The dude was probably like, "Huh? I don't get it... what does he mean by..." But before the poor guy's brain exploded Jesus said something very interesting,
"Beware! Guard against every kind of greed. Life is not measured by how much you own." Luke 12:15

What?

I thought life is measured by how much you own.


Isn't it true that the more money I have, the more successful I am considered?
Isn't it true that the more clothes and sneakers and shoes I have, the more (insert whatever) I am?
Isn't it true that the more girls I plow through, the more esteemed I am among my boys?
Isn't true the more guys I sleep with, the more (insert whatever) I am?

Get the point?

"A rich man had a fertile farm that produced fine crops. He said to himself, 'What should I do? I don’t have room for all my crops.' Then he said, 'I know! I’ll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I’ll have room enough to store all my wheat and other goods. And I’ll sit back and say to myself, 'My friend, you have enough stored away for years to come. Now take it easy! Eat, drink, and be merry!' But God said to him, 'You fool! You will die this very night. Then who will get everything you worked for?'" Luke 12:16-20

Strong words? I'd say so. Now try this: omit 'crops' 'wheat' and 'other goods'. Add whatever it is you're trying to stack up on. Money? Cars? Girls? Sneaks? Shoes? Good times?

Notice what the protagonist says, "I'll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I'll have room enough to store..." Whatever he had he was not satisfied with; got that?

What goods do I have in my life that I'm not satisfied with?

And you?

The purview of this has expanded to things other than simply economics. What in my life is driving me to want more and more and more that I must 'tear down my barns and build bigger ones'?

Now after we've substituted our whatever in into the text, let's see it again.

Do you see it?

Check it.

One thing remains the same, You fool!

See it now? God himself is all up in my face calling me a fool, yo! And yours.
I'm a fool if all I wanna do is stack up on things of this earth, yo!
You're a fool if all you wanna do is stack up on things of this earth, YO!

"Yes, a person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God. [Yo!]” Luke 12:21

"Like a partridge that hatches eggs she has not laid, so are those who get their wealth by unjust means. At midlife they will lose their riches; in the end, they will become poor old fools." Jeremiah 17:11

Wait a minute, did God just call me a fool?!
Twice, yo!

So God must want me to be poor then, because it clearly says that I'm a fool for storing up earthly wealth. That sucks!

wait a minute. . .

"And don’t be concerned about what to eat and what to drink. Don’t worry about such things. These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers all over the world, but your Father already knows your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need.So don’t be afraid, little flock. For it gives your Father great happiness to give you the Kingdom." Luke 14:29-32

No. God does not want any of his children to be broke. God does not want me to be broke. Nor you. It wouldn't make sense. It doesn't make sense. It's senseless!

He just wants me to check him out first, and then he'll take care of my business. And yours. If you check him out first, that is. . .

And the cool part is that he does not mind giving me the Kingdom.
No, it's not that he doesn't mind; he finds great happiness to give me the Kingdom!

Dude, I love this remix. . .

Enjoy, "Cara a Cara" by Marcos Vidal.
Translation: "Face to Face"; a song about when we get to see Jesus face to face... amazing!

No comments:

The Mind

My photo
He is THE maestro; I am an instrument